Low Profile Mattress
Right now thicker mattresses are in style but there’s still high demand for lower profile beds. The industry standard height for a bed is 7 inches but today that would be considered a thin mattress. Mattresses have gotten a lot deeper in the last decade or so. Some mattresses are 24 inches deep, not including the box spring!
And, instead of a box spring that also adds height, mattress retailers are selling things like a Bunkie Board, which are very thin. It’s only 1.5 inches thick. You can use them in place of a box spring.
One reason mattresses are so much higher than they were 20 years ago is people are more selective and things like a pillow top or extra foam layers which add to the height. Also, the style is a larger, thicker mattress. For some, that extra height spells luxury.
Another reason is the rise in popularity of platform beds, which have a strong enough foundation to support a mattress without box springs. So you need a thicker mattress if you want a taller bed. If you have a box spring and mattress together, they’re much higher than a standard bed.
Typically a low profile mattress is under 6 inches deep.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) when you purchase a mattress through our links.
Best CHEAP Thin Mattress Brands
Our favorite brands for reasonably priced thinner mattresses are Linenspa, Zinus and Tochta. These are all highly rated and not expensive for the quality. Each is ideal for anyone who wants a lower profile mattress.
Custom Mattress – Starting at 4″ Deep
We prefer Tochta for the quality – they have several models to choose from and are reasonably priced. But the best part is, you can get a custom build starting at just 4″ deep!! Use their online price quote so you can see the cost depending on what features and thickness you want. Check out our Tochta RV mattress review on YouTube.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy a Low Height Mattress
Here’s why you might want a lower height mattress:
- It costs less to ship a thinner mattress because they’re not as heavy.
- A thinner mattress is easier to pack and move. You can fold them up and transport them easier. See this video on how we move a mattress. With a lighter bed you could move a bed by yourself and fit it into the back of your car!
- You’re short and don’t want to have to use a ladder to get into your bed. A thick mattress can be challenging to get onto or get off of. Even taller people may have problems getting onto or off a mattress that’s too high off the ground.
- Your health makes it difficult to get up onto a thick mattress. Lower profile mattresses can be ideal for the elderly or those who cannot get in/out of bed easily when it’s too high off the ground.
- For safety reasons. A child can’t easily get on/off the bed and may fall if they roll off the bed in their sleep on a mattress and frame that are near the ground.
- Ideal for an RV or similar tight space.
- Budget – thinner mattresses are usually less expensive.
- To use on bunk beds and get more clearance space (and don’t hit your head on the bed above you or the ceiling).
- For adjustable beds. If your mattress is too thick they won’t move with the head of the bed and look funny sticking up straight above the top of the frame.
- For sofa sleeper beds – a thicker mattress won’t fit back into a couch when you want to fold it.
- For camping, in a tent or the back of a truck (you need to pack something lightweight). Sometimes you need a thinner air mattress that’s easier to pack in and out.
Shop Low Profile Mattresses
Want a thin mattress for the floor? Here are some great options, just click on the images below.
Scroll down if you need to find sheets for your low profile bed (or box springs).
If you’re looking for a camping or RV mattress that can be custom built for your exact space/size or shape, check out Totcha ** here’s our Tochta RV mattress review ** They give you instant price quotes online and come in a variety of thicknesses. Despite being made for RVs, they are very reasonably priced and can be used anywhere like the back of your truck, SUV or even just for your everyday mattress.
Low Profile Box Springs
Looking for box spring & mattress for very low bed? You can also lower a mattress profile by adding a low profile box spring, base or platform.
Zinus Jayanna 4 Inch Low Profile BiFold Box Spring / Folding Mattress Foundation / Strong Steel Structure / No Assembly RequiredZinus Victor 7.5 Inch Quick Lock Smart Box Spring / Mattress Foundation / Strong Steel Structure / Easy AssemblyZinus Deepak Easy Assembly Wood Slat 1.6 Inch Bunkie Board / Bed Slat ReplacementNOAH MEGATRON Easy Assembly Box Spring, Heavy Duty Steel Mattress Foundation Base, 7” high
Low Profile Bed Sheets
Standard sheets will be too deep for a thinner mattress, so you’ll need low profile sheets and a low profile mattress protector. This one from Amazon Basics is a great price that can’t be beat. Now your sheets and protector won’t be loose and come off the bed. Who wants to wake up to a wad of sheets?
The Furniture Shack 310TC Super Low Profile Queen Size Sheet Set for 6″ mattressRolux linen Queen Sleeper Sofa Bed Sheet Set – White Solid 100% Cotton 800 Thread Count Fit Up to 6″SafeRest Premium LOW PROFILE Waterproof Mattress Protector
Did you buy a low profile mattress? Let us know what one and how it’s going or ask any questions in the comments!